The excitement of Polis de Crap

The city of the future!
sunface
Site Admin

The excitement of Polis de Crap

Post by sunface » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:09 pm

So some changes have been made.

It turns out that Go Daddy isn't up to date on their PHP shit, or whatever, so I moved the hosting to somewhere else. Now that it's there, we can actually run the latest version of phpBB. Interestingly, the latest version that you can run on GoDaddy is 3.0, whereas we're now on 3.2.2. I believe this means that we'll have more features.

Of course, we have no users. Except me. Sunface.
This post should now end this thread due to its definitive embodiment of the subject.

sunface
Site Admin

Re: The excitement of Polis de Crap

Post by sunface » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:37 am

A few updates:

1) On this newer (ie newer than we had at the old CPOP) version of phpBB, there's a "new user" group. This prevents users from creating topics or posts without a moderator approving them. This is obviously a safety feature to prevent spam accounts with a lower-level approval feature for new users, but the spambot prevention methods built into 3.2.2 also seem to be keeping the flood of shitty accounts at bay.

2) Along these lines when I set up 3.0 at GoDaddy, almost immediately we started having spam accounts being created. 3.0 has spam account prevention (some kind of captcha technology) but it obviously didn't work. I set up 3.2.2 last night, and thus far there's no spam accounts at all. Haha, of course, there's no accounts at all, other than me and Craopo, and I think he only joined out of some kind of misplaced duty.

3) So as of now, you can join CPOP by just self-authenticating (ie replying to an email), instead of requiring an administrator to approve your account. At this point this seems perfectly fine to me, as there's no users at all.

4) I downloaded all of the old server before I wiped everything. The best thing, of course, is the sheer number of pictures that we uploaded to the site over the years. I don't know whether I have all of them (probably not, as it seems like something got deleted to cause the crash to begin with), but I think we need some of these to make a comeback.

5) Along those lines, there aren't a lot of mods for phpBB that look to be of much interest, but I found this:

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ile_flair/

Would this work for hats?

As always,

Sunface
This post should now end this thread due to its definitive embodiment of the subject.

Grady

Post by Grady » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:33 am

I don't know why this is (maybe you can fix it), but it literally took over an hour to send me my activation email. Actually, it might've been exactly 1 hour. If there's some sort of setting to change it to "send immediately" and not "schedule" it or whatever, please set that. I'm wondering if it intended to send it immediately but when I registered I changed my time zone to one hour prior to the forum's current time zone. So, it waited until I caught up? Just a theory.

Anyway, fuck this place is ugly. We need a theme. But anyway, good work. Thumbs up, Top Dog, etc.

sunface
Site Admin

Post by sunface » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:24 pm

That's interesting; I don't think that it's a setting. I could be wrong and will check.

Looks like we have a number of users starting to find their way here, though I do wonder whether they're all legitimately who they claim to be. I suppose it could end up that there's a former banned user masquerading. Well, don't do that. Let me make it official:

With the great forum crash of 2018, all bans are lifted. This is a fresh start.

I also need to get the right people so they can post without approval. I need to figure this out as nobody wants to wait for an approval.

Android: Weird that you needed me to approve you, but I did. So there.

sunface
Site Admin

Post by sunface » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:25 pm

To be clear the reason I say that is that it's set to automatically approve users once they click on an email that gets sent to them. But for some reason android and a spam guy were both in the queue to approve as users. Who knows.

Also, the spam filter is no longer working - we have a bunch of BS users. I think I'll set it that until you're made into an official user (ie, we know you), you can't post. Or something. You can always tell who is spam because they have stupid names.

Android

Post by Android » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:35 pm

So when will this piece of crap forum let me out of the "new user" group? Let me out. Lemme ooooooooout :(

Grady

Post by Grady » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:37 am

But...you have a stupid name.

Grady

Post by Grady » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:38 am

Also Jesus Christ it's still saying I can't post until you approve it. Haven't I proven that I'm me, or something, yet?

Padre Juan

Post by Padre Juan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:42 am

Will the old themes work here?

Android

Post by Android » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:11 pm

I indeed have a stupid name. My nickname, "Android", is also stupid.

I just want to post here :(