Crapopolis Stagnation

The city of the future!
sunface
Site Admin

Crapopolis Stagnation

Post by sunface » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:15 am

Sigh... I was excited to set this place up, but I'm curious as to the demand to really keep it going. I would be willing to check in here and post on a regular cadence, but has the time of the forum just passed us by? Are we more interested in Facebook and email and Instagram and who the fuck knows than post here?

Your thoughts are encouraged and welcome!
This post should now end this thread due to its definitive embodiment of the subject.

Android

Re: Crapopolis Stagnation

Post by Android » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:20 pm

I am interested in a forum like this, but I need other people posting too. I don't mind low post volume, but at least someone posting once a week...

I suspect everyone is on Grady's Discord :D

Grady

Post by Grady » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:11 pm

While the Discord might be partly to blame, there's still plenty regulars from here that either have never joined it, or joined it once and never came back afterwards. Also, the discord is ours not mine.

Cpop's always gone through phases of inactivity. The current one doesn't surprise me. I do actually think the forum theme might also be partly to blame. It is just as uninviting as the "temporary" forum is/was. The Padre had a point in his dick-sucking thread. Or anal sex thread. Whatever it is. You should really do an enema prior to anal sex, you know?

Wizard in Glass

Post by Wizard in Glass » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:55 pm

I am interested in a forum, also. I don't do the Facebook or Instagram or stuff like that. Heck, the only reason I have a Google/YouTube account is because I finally broke down and bought a real cellphone (A Samsung Note 2...the year the either the 4 or 5 came out). I've never been a high volume poster, but I am going to try to make an effort to post at least twice a week from here on out.

Governor Dick

Post by Governor Dick » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:50 am

I still prefer the slow paced communication style of forums but I need to be in a more private environment to go deeper than penis jokes (e.g. anal jokes). I also like it if no history remains for too long (i.e. you can delete older posts/topics).

sunface
Site Admin

Post by sunface » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:27 am

I think there's a difference between low volume and what we've had here; in particular, the volume of posting is just too low to sustain any conversation. I think if we're going to make this work we need to commit to coming here like WIG is suggesting, 1-2 times a week and posting. If we're not willing to do that I don't think it's going to work. Don't get me wrong, I'm not threatening to kill the site or anything, but rather I think the site will simply die if there isn't content to read when coming here.

Regarding the theme, I don't think that the appearance of the forum is that relevant. We can put more themes up but I think it's not really the issue, which comes down to people either being interested in coming here to read and write posts or not. Just to be clear about the old themes, when I installed the new forum software the old themes were on the drive already and were automatically detected, and they seemed to mainly work. A couple of them seemed pretty much perfect, but others were broken. I think any of them will need some time and work to get going properly; I can try to fix them and get them working but it's a chicken and egg thing... At present, it seems like a bad use of time to get more options here when people aren't using the base use of this place (ie, why bother with a lot of window dressing when there's nothing in the window).
This post should now end this thread due to its definitive embodiment of the subject.

sunface
Site Admin

Post by sunface » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:29 am

Governor Dick wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:50 am
I still prefer the slow paced communication style of forums but I need to be in a more private environment to go deeper than penis jokes (e.g. anal jokes). I also like it if no history remains for too long (i.e. you can delete older posts/topics).
One question about this is whether we should make a private forum again, or make this forum private. I'm fine with that.

I'm also fine to make anyone an administrator or moderator, provided again that whoever gains those titles needs to make a commitment here.

End of day, we have nothing really going for this place. We're not tied to a larger website, or a game or a comic or anything like that. We're just a community that formed from another community 15 years ago. The sad reality is that the thing that keeps us coming here is each other...

THE HORROR

Android

Post by Android » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:22 pm

Hey, I've been faithfully posting here even when the forum was broken!

The theme is irrelevant. This forum needs to be private though, or I'll feel less compelled to share. I love reading about y'all, be it Grady's weird anecdotes about his family, or Feasy's new house, or Dyskette's personal stuff (where is she anyway?) or BigD's family, or Sunfatz' new pedigree dog. This wouldn't be possible if the forum was open to any random troll.

To be honest, I think the problem is we're missing a bunch of regulars and are therefore lacking critical mass. Why is Padre Juan active only when the forum doesn't work? Where is Uberman? Is Obi on Discord these days? And why did Glowbucket leave us? And is Machete even alive? And 5uxit?

I'm definitely not interested in meeting new people online. I'm old. New people scare me. But I want this forum to exist FOREVER. I want it to still exist 40 years from now, so that I can login from whatever old people's home and chat with you guys and complain about the climate change and how we blew it and the apes now rule us.

Banjo

Post by Banjo » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:39 pm

Is Obi on Discord these days?
Yes. We are all there.

Governor Dick

Post by Governor Dick » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:32 am

Who the fuck is Banjo

I'm gonna guess it's Machete judging by his broken English