Jill of the Jungle

The city of the future!
sunface
Site Admin

Jill of the Jungle

Post by sunface » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:09 pm

Is free on GOG.com - not sure for how long. But you should grab it while it's free!
This post should now end this thread due to its definitive embodiment of the subject.

Wizard in Glass

Re: Jill of the Jungle

Post by Wizard in Glass » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:21 pm

Thanks for the heads up. Free games are always good. They're also how I ended up with a GOG account...think it was Beneath A Steel Sky was one of the first freebies I got from them and you needed to sign up to get it. And years later, I now have close 300 games in my GOG library because of nostalgia/insanely low prices/wanting to try games I couldn't afford when I was in high school. And I think I've played 20 of them! :lol:

Android

Post by Android » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:50 pm

Ha, Beneath a Steel Sky (and Lure of the Temptress) were also my first free games on GOG. I never did finish Lure of the Temptress, was that game too difficult or what?

Governor Dick

Post by Governor Dick » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:09 pm

I also never finished it. I remember it was very hard for my teenager brain and when I finally got into the castle that I fucking escaped from at the beginning of the game--which I guess is the Lure of the Temptress--my memory of what happens then is blank--which I guess is the Lure of the Temptress

sunface
Site Admin

Post by sunface » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:44 am

Yeah I also have that game and don't remember anything about it. But also I didn't play it.

For Jill of the Jungle, it doesn't take long to realize that early 1990s PC platformers just aren't that good. I have really fond memories of Commander Keen but don't think it's really been given an official re-release like Jill of the Jungle. I loved those games, but I think the reason is that I had them and didn't really have a lot of other games, and they were free (at least a few levels were), and they were reasonably fun. But would you ever play that game over say Super Mario Bros. 3? I doubt it. In the grand scheme of things maybe these kind of games are just curiosities of a time when PC gaming really sucked and someone was making a go of it.

Put differently, are the games that brought (most) of us to Home of the Underdogs just shitty old games that nobody wants to play anymore?
This post should now end this thread due to its definitive embodiment of the subject.

Android

Post by Android » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:30 pm

sunface wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:44 am
Put differently, are the games that brought (most) of us to Home of the Underdogs just shitty old games that nobody wants to play anymore?
I don't think so.

I mean, many are, and the only reason we remember them fondly is nostalgia. I wouldn't play Jill of the Jungle, but I think for example Commander Keen is a genuinely good game. I still occasionally take Sword of the Samurai out for a spin, and while it has plenty of UI issues, it's an engrossing game. I'd say the most frustrating thing about old abandonware games is the UI -- we put up with a lot of clunky interfaces back in the day, and games have progressed since then.

sunface
Site Admin

Post by sunface » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:38 pm

Yeah I hear that. Today they call things like UI "Quality of Life" stuff I think. Like in old games you can't save anywhere, but in newer games you can, and in newest games you can just shut down your console at any time and turn it back on and the game was just asleep.

Have I mentioned how much I love the Nintendo Switch?

Feasoron

Post by Feasoron » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:28 am

There is a Commander Keen pack on steam. I tried to play Keen 4, but it seemed, on Linux at least, to have a LOT more input lag than I remembered.

Grady

Post by Grady » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:36 pm

That's an emulation problem. I can't stand to play anything that requires fast interactions (action games, platformers, etc.) on DOSBox. I used to give Harkiet shit about it all the time. I've become reaaaally picky about input lag the last few years to the point I can almost never stand to use any emulators at all anymore. I still need to play around more with Retroarch's run-ahead latency thingy. Wonder if it works for DOSBox games through Retroarch. Hrmm.

Feasoron

Post by Feasoron » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:16 am

It's weird, because in general I am not someone who notices lag, latency, refresh rates, framerates, all of that. I'm not saying they don't matter to some people, I just never notice. With Keen though, man it was throwing me off. I went and configured dosbox myself, using the datafiles that steam dropped onto my machine and it ran a lot better. Maybe Steam itself was sitting between DosBox and the OS? I'm not sure. It's not like I'm going to drop the time into the game just to find the dopefish again.