Jill of the Jungle

The city of the future!
sunface
Site Admin

Re: Jill of the Jungle

Post by sunface » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:43 am

Interesting, I don't know that I've ever really experienced too much lag on any emulation that I can recall actually using. Jill of the Jungle seems passable anyway, though the game is pretty "floaty" anyway.

Did anyone else grab it?
This post should now end this thread due to its definitive embodiment of the subject.

Wizard in Glass

Post by Wizard in Glass » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:13 pm

Don't know if it's any good or not, but Humble is offering Outcast- 2nd Contact for free for a limited time. About 5.9Gb download. No steam key.

http://www.humblebundle.com/store/outca ... nd-contact

Wizard in Glass

Post by Wizard in Glass » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:18 pm

Double post!

Looks like the old Bitmap Bros. game "Gods" is getting a remaster. Aptly titled GODS Remastered. I never played the original, but I have always been fond of BB's original releases of "Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe" and "Chaos Engine".

Android

Post by Android » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:44 pm

Wow, GODS! Back in the day, I was thrilled by how beautiful it looked (typical of Bitmap Bros' games). I also remember I found it quite difficult. I don't think I ever finished it.

Does anyone remember a side-scroller with a robot which changed between three forms, one of which (I think) was some sort of dinosaur? I think it was a French game, Metal <something>? Probably crap, but I thought it looked great back then.

Wizard in Glass

Post by Wizard in Glass » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:45 pm

https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/metal-mutant

Is this the one you mean? Never played it myself. Heck, I don't even remember that one, but it does look neat. Might have to do go find a download.

If you're a fan of the Bitmap graphics style, check out Tower 57. Available on Steam and GOG. I haven't spent a lot of time with it, but I have really enjoyed it when I have played. Makes me think of Chaos Engine in both visual and play style.

Edit: Found Metal Mutant for digital purchase as part of a Silmarils collection on Amazon. Available only if you're in the US, though. Of course, I'm sure it's on an abandonware site somewhere out there.

Android

Post by Android » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:52 pm

Yes! Metal Mutant. Though it doesn't look as good as I remembered it, and I'm pretty sure the gameplay wasn't worth it.

Compare it with GODS. GODS still looks pretty good, and I think it played better too.

Tower57 looks nice. The gameplay seems hectic. Did we ever discuss Hotline Miami here? I thought the first one was pretty good (both gameplay and music!), but never finished the second one.

Banjo

Post by Banjo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:11 pm

Ehh, not feeling the Gods remaster at all. To be honest the redone graphics look worse than the original ones, even taking resolution and whatnot into account. Bitmap Bros really knew what they were doing on the Pearian front, their stuff has aged extremely well...

And Chaos Engine <3

sunface
Site Admin

Post by sunface » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:32 am

I'm not sure why you'd remaster Gods, given that it looks fantastic in its original state. Remastering very early games makes some sense, but by the time you're doing it to Amiga games you've probably gone too far.

Did anyone pre-order a Playstation Mini Classic, or whatever it's called? I have both the NES and SNES mini classics, and although I love them I have to admit I rarely turn them on. That said, I will be playing some Mario Kart today at work as it's a coworker's last day (it's going around). So I guess it was worth it. ANYWAY point is, NES and SNES you can really say "classic" about, as those games hold up super well. PS1 games, however, look like shit most of the time because they're early polygon games. For whatever reason, polygon games, at least those attempting to look realistic, just haven't aged well.

That's probably why the Obra Dinn game would age well... style.
This post should now end this thread due to its definitive embodiment of the subject.

Grady

Post by Grady » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:26 pm

Yeah, I'm with you all on the "Why the hell would you do a Gods remaster?" thing. It always ran a little choppy. Not, like, performance-wise (it's snappy), but animations-wise? If they could just add in new frames of animation to the originals to get everything up to 60fps (or even just 30), it'd be great.

That Metal Mutant game actually looks pretty fucking cool. Yet another game that makes me want to own an Amiga. Some day. Some day.

Banjo

Post by Banjo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:42 am

Speaking of unnecessary remasters.... the Monkey Island 1 & 2 remakes managed to actually look worse than the original VGA ones - yeah, crisper backgrounds and whatnot, but Guybrush (especially in the 1st) looked way beyond awful.

Full Throttle and Grim Fandango remasters worked, though. They didn't completely mess up designwise, just updated the shit for modern resolutions.