Jill of the Jungle

The city of the future!
Governor Dick

Re: Jill of the Jungle

Post by Governor Dick » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:28 am

Grady wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:26 pm
Yeah, I'm with you all on the "Why the hell would you do a Gods remaster?" thing. It always ran a little choppy. Not, like, performance-wise (it's snappy), but animations-wise? If they could just add in new frames of animation to the originals to get everything up to 60fps (or even just 30), it'd be great.

That Metal Mutant game actually looks pretty fucking cool. Yet another game that makes me want to own an Amiga. Some day. Some day.
Can't you make your own Amiga using your sister's vagina and Winuae

Grady

Post by Grady » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:44 am

See earlier in the thread where I've gotten really sensitive to input delay and so don't care for emulation much anymore. Plus, I just really prefer the experience of using the original hardware.

Governor Dick

Post by Governor Dick » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:10 am

So you use your mother's vagina
Last edited by Governor Dick on Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Android

Post by Android » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:27 pm

Grady wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:44 am
See earlier in the thread where I've gotten really sensitive to input delay and so don't care for emulation much anymore. Plus, I just really prefer the experience of using the original hardware.
I'm not as sensitive to emulation lag, but I really regret my dad selling my beloved C64 back in the day, which was needed in order to buy me a PC XT. I really wish he had had the money to buy the XT without getting rid of my Commodore.

I never knew anyone who owned an Amiga. From all I've read, it was possibly the best home computer ever. The graphics of Amiga games still amaze me.

Banjo

Post by Banjo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:53 am

And wrote:I never knew anyone who owned an Amiga.
Don't worry, you at least had a C64 :)
Droid wrote:From all I've read, it was possibly the best home computer ever.
Cause the C64 was better. At the end of the day, yeah, Amiga is pretty and has some of the very best games ever made and some ultimate versions of classic games that are only to be played on that platform - Phantasie III is a great example of CGA on PC vs. masturbateworthily beautiful Amiga version.... but I digress... C64 has much more soul.

And of course SID.

Ps. speaking of remakes and ultimate version - I gve Stunt Car Racer on Amiga (not Stunts!) emu a run the other day, once again. It's quite sluggish nowdays and while the simple filled vector graphics are serviceable but quite much nothing else nowdays, but it's still damned fun and the concept/track design quality is something I haven't seen in any racer since. If there is a game that is in sore need of a modernized remake, it's Stunt Car Racer. Tried searching the nets if there's an indie one few years ago, but at least then I failed to find anything...

Feasoron

Post by Feasoron » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:12 am

Banjo wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:42 am
Speaking of unnecessary remasters.... the Monkey Island 1 & 2 remakes managed to actually look worse than the original VGA ones - yeah, crisper backgrounds and whatnot, but Guybrush (especially in the 1st) looked way beyond awful.
Agree with this so much, but I LOVE the ability to play the original MI2 graphics but with voice.

sunface
Site Admin

Post by sunface » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:09 am

Yeah, not a huge fan of the Monkey Island remakes. Pixel graphics are a funny thing; gamer society has kind of moved into 16-bit nostalgia after a long run of 8-bit nostalgia. Not sure what my point is there.

Amiga was awesome but I agree it didn't have the soul of the C64. The 64 was kind of this shitty machine that did a lot of stuff really well and encouraged you to fuck around on it. The Amiga always felt like a machine with fantastic graphics and little else. I never owned one, but a few friends did and I was always blown away by the graphics but thought the rest of it was kind of crap. Of course, when I got my first PC - a 386SX - I thought it was the greatest thing ever.

Kind of like recent video games. I bought the Genesis (ie Megadrive) collection for the switch. I think it has 40 or 50 Genesis games on it. They are awesome. Final Fight. Golden Axe. Come on!
This post should now end this thread due to its definitive embodiment of the subject.

Feasoron

Post by Feasoron » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:27 am

I was just looking at the remaster of Simon the Sorcerer on GOG. I've always hated playing that game through SCUMMVM because the verb controls are AWFUL. It's clunky, even for the time it was released. You don't realize how amazing the Lucas keyboard bindings were until they are suddenly not there.

Anyway, my point I REALLY wanted to make was about the xBRZ upscaling they use to "update" the graphics. I think these upscalers usually look like complete and utter shit. Sure, it is more PPI but everything looks like a terrible mushy blob. I know SCUMMVM always gives these as an option, but the only scaling that really works in my opinion is straight stretching; i.e. what was one pixel in the original is an 8px X 8px square now. xBRZ makes the graphics fill the screen at the cost of every single crisp line or detail.

Banjo

Post by Banjo » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:38 am

Feasy wrote: You don't realize how amazing the Lucas keyboard bindings were until they are suddenly not there.
The WHAT?!

Well, I never....

Feasoron

Post by Feasoron » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:06 pm

You didn't know that? Each verb has a secret key you could hit to select it. Y for pull (yank) etc.