Diablo Immortal

The city of the future!
sunface
Site Admin

Diablo Immortal

Post by sunface » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:10 am

Har har this is awesome.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/fa ... -immortal/
Perhaps the best indication of negative reception, however, was Blizzcon itself. Several fans shot pointed questions at the Blizzard developers during the “Diablo: What’s Next” session. One player asked if there would ever be a PC version and, when told there were no plans for it, the crowd revolted in a chorus of boos. Taunts were thrown out by random fans throughout the sessions, many of them from a very loud guy with an infinity for the Druid class from Diablo 2.

One player even asked, point blank, if Diablo Immortal was an “out-of-season April Fool’s joke.”
This is so ridiculous. Diablo 3 launched on PC but since then has come to pretty much every platform. The platform with the world's biggest install base must be mobile phones. Why wouldn't this launch there?
This post should now end this thread due to its definitive embodiment of the subject.

Grady

Re: Diablo Immortal

Post by Grady » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:53 am

This is indeed a bit amusing. The timing of it is the problem, really. Diablo 3 came out in 2012. That's a long time ago, in gaming standards. Sure, it's had expansions more recently (apparently the last was in 2016), but I guess fans were really hoping for a Diablo 4 by now. Not like, out by now, but announced by now. Aaand instead, Blizzard announces a mobile game. Granted, Diablo-like action-RPGs work great on mobile. I've got one that I actually paid for several years ago that I still screw around with on occasion. Considering I'm poor and how stupidly easy it is to pirate games on Android, me buying a game says something. Anyway, I think if they'd announced Diablo 4 AND this mobile game, no one would give a shit about it.

When it comes to the PC thing, well, it has traditionally been a PC series. The first one had a Playstation port that was, admittedly, fairly decent, but lacked a lot of features. The biggest being no randomly-generated dungeons. And the inventory interface being clunky. Diablo 2 was never released on any console. And hell, people are STILL playing Diablo 2 online. Diablo 3 did of course release on just about everything (no Wii or Wii U, but it's on Switch now). Still, I'm betting the majority of the active player base (playing online specifically) is on PC.

Personally, while I have great memories of the first Diablo, I can't really stand to play games of this genre on PC anymore. Not when the only allowed control scheme of character movement is mouse-based. I've ranted at length in the past about my hatred of games without "direct control" of your character. When the console versions of Diablo III were announced, I was excited. But they never brought the console control scheme over to the PC version as an option, despite MANY fans requesting they do so. I've long considered buying the 360 or PS3 version of Diablo 3 just to play singleplayer, but I'd prefer to get the "Ultimate Evil Edition" and it hadn't really come down to the price I'd be willing to pay (less than $10). It has now, if I buy the cheapest used copy available on Amazon. So maybe I'll get it eventually. But, ehhhhh.

Android

Post by Android » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:55 am

Granted, Diablo-like action-RPGs work great on mobile
Do they? I can't play anything on mobile. It gives me headaches and the controls are absurdly bad, always. Maybe I can play puzzle games or crosswords or such like.

Banjo

Post by Banjo » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:43 am

King of the Dragon Pass is excellent on mobile.

Android

Post by Android » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:57 pm

Is that the German RPG? I know there was this German game that everyone on HOTU said was awesome, but can't remember if it was this one. Is it still playable today?

Regardless, I remembered some games that are actually good on mobile: have you played the "Sorcery!" series? It's more a souped up Choose Your Own Adventure I guess, but still very enjoyable.

sunface
Site Admin

Post by sunface » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:50 am

It takes a lot to be good on mobile, and almost universally that excludes quick or precise movement with a virtual analog stick. Good games on mobile all have super simple controls. A good example: Plants vs. Zombies, or Canabalt. One is simple one-touch controls, the other is a simple one-touch control...

That said, I think Diablo is a natural fit for mobile, for the reasons Grady doesn't like those games - indirect control. If Diablo is about "clicking skeletons" (per Governor Dick), then you can do that on mobile. Hell a good mobile genre is the "click" genre where you basically just click the fucking screen a million times to grind for rewards. This type of game is awful by the way.

Grady what's the Android Diablo clone you play? Is it the one that people are complaining that this new Diablo is just a reskin of?

I was tempted to get Diablo 3 for my Switch, but frankly it's $80 (Canadian; basically it's a full retail release price) and I have the game for PS4 (where I paid $80, ie a full retail release) and just hated it. Partially I do think that the game would be improved with the Switch's "take anywhere" style, but it's just a fucking monotonous game. You have to really like button mashing again and again. Yes the controls are direct, but all you do is run around and click "A" over and over again, occasionally using a potion or a spell I guess. It's more or less "Gauntlet". Which was a great game in 1985, but in 2018 there's just no depth to it.

The crazy thing? SO MANY PEOPLE who are writing about the current Diablo Immortal "controversy" (ie first world problem) use the same justification for them being fans: "I've sunk many thousands of hours into Diablo 3". FUCKING WHAT?!?!? THOUSANDS OF WHAT?!!? We shouldn't listen to these people simply because they've made such poor life choices. Their opinions on whether a mobile game will be good should only be taken ironically - if someone willing to put a thousand hours into fucking Diablo 3 doesn't like the concept of a mobile game, I probably will.
This post should now end this thread due to its definitive embodiment of the subject.

Android

Post by Android » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:34 pm

sunface wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:50 am
Hell a good mobile genre is the "click" genre where you basically just click the fucking screen a million times to grind for rewards. This type of game is awful by the way.
Right. This type of game is easy to "play" on mobile, but it's also something that deserves to burn in hell. Fuck those games.

The original Plants vs Zombies was fun and it worked on mobile very well, true.

I don't know anything about this Diablo controversy. To be honest I liked the original Diablo on the PC but wasn't blown away by it. To my shame, I never played Diablo 2, which I know was supposed to be a big deal.

Wizard in Glass

Post by Wizard in Glass » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:05 pm

I never got into the Diablo series. I played the first a little bit, passed on the 2nd, and then finally played 3 for like 30 minutes at my girlfriend's cousin's house last year. The crazy thing is I loved a lot of the clones like Darkstone, Throne of Darkness, Nox, Divine Divinity, and Titan's Quest. For whatever reason, the games that spawned them all never caught on with me.

sunface
Site Admin

Post by sunface » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:37 pm

Is Divine Divinity a Diablo clone? I have Divinity Original Sin and it seems more like a modern-day Baldur's Gate. I mean, less "click on monster" and more "role play with a shitty dialog tree".

Diablo 1 was OK. I'm not sure if I ever really played 2; I think I probably watched a buddy play some of it and realized how fucking samey boring it was. For a long time people liked games just because they had online multiplayer. Like Halo 2. Far inferior to Halo 1, but it had online multiplayer so it was a huge hit. Too bad.

Grady

Post by Grady » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:20 am

The Divinity series has been all over the place. But the original Divine Divinity and its sequel..uh.. Beyond Divinity? Something like that. They were Diablo clones. That mouse-based action-RPG genre I haven't been able to properly enjoy since I was like 13. Then Divinity 2 went full 3D over the shoulder open world thingy. With NPCs that constantly twitched during conversations like they were all fiending for crack. You could turn into a dragon and shit later in the game, and it had expansions and stuff. Then there was Divinity Dragon Commander which took the dragon thing to another level and was sort of an RTS/RPG/thingy. And then the Original Sin games are yeah, like the Infinity Engine games.

I honestly couldn't tell you the name of the Diablo clone I play on my phone. It's not a big one that people play. It's purely singleplayer. It's from some small indie studio. Fuck, let me look. Ah, it's called Exiled Kingdoms. Holy shit they released it on Steam just this year and it's gotten good reviews. That's super weird. I would've thought the PC crowd would hate it. I mean, it's nothing special, really. Really basic. Not a lot of story, etc. Just something I play once every couple months for 15 minutes when I'm in a waiting room. I randomly came across the demo of it years ago and enjoyed it enough that I gave them my money. Which is something I almost never do on mobile (but do on Steam). FWIW, Exiled Kingdoms has direct control. Part of the reason I bought it. It does the fake left analog stick thing, which I find works perfectly fine for this topdown/isometric sort of game. YMMV.

Android: King of Dragon Pass is a sort of Choose Your Own Adventure itself. Granted, a very complex one, but I'd still consider it one, personally. I don't know if it's German, but yes, people were obsessed with it back on HOTU.