Diablo Immortal

The city of the future!
sunface
Site Admin

Re: Diablo Immortal

Post by sunface » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:44 am

Grady: That actually looks pretty cool, I'm going to check it out on iPhone and will report back.
This post should now end this thread due to its definitive embodiment of the subject.

Banjo

Post by Banjo » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:16 pm

Android: King of Dragon Pass is a sort of Choose Your Own Adventure itself. Granted, a very complex one, but I'd still consider it one, personally. I don't know if it's German, but yes, people were obsessed with it back on HOTU.
It's one of the three modern games/series that could be ranked best or better, if you ask me. (Beyond Good & Evil and Borderlands(es))

Android

Post by Android » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:08 pm

Grady wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:20 am
Android: King of Dragon Pass is a sort of Choose Your Own Adventure itself. Granted, a very complex one, but I'd still consider it one, personally. I don't know if it's German, but yes, people were obsessed with it back on HOTU.
Ah, yes. Choose Your Own Adventure done right can be fun.

I just remembered that the German RPG everyone seemed to rave about was Darklands.

Banjo

Post by Banjo » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:12 pm

I never played Darklands. Knyght pestered me to try it out for years, but I never did.

Android

Post by Android » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:01 pm

Right! And Knyght was the guy from HOTU that was constantly praising Darklands. Now I remember it.

edit: wait, not Knyght. It was some German dude, rather humorless and with a black & white dude in his avatar. I can't remember his name.

sunface
Site Admin

Post by sunface » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:41 pm

I played Darklands in the early-mid 1990s, when I bought a sealed copy for something like $4. I think Craopo still has my gamebox and manual but no disks, which I suppose is A-OK. Anyway, it was a good game that I recall had a glitch in it that allowed you to level up really easily. The version on GOG has fixed this glitch. I also remember that it was just generally really buggy, and I expect this is also no longer a problem, but it crashed a lot so you'd lose your progress. I played the shit out of it one night and then ended up losing a lot of very positive progress so I quit. That was like 25 years ago.

Maybe it's time to get back on that horse.

Android: Are you thinking of Schattenjager?
This post should now end this thread due to its definitive embodiment of the subject.

Android

Post by Android » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:57 pm

sunface wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:41 pm
Android: Are you thinking of Schattenjager?
No, Schattenjager was the guy who was all about philosophy [*], right? I'm not sure... I think I'm not thinking of him, but of some other German who was very stern and humorless and moralistic, and who was passionate about Darklands. His avatar was taken from some game or box cover (but not Darklands; I checked) and was a black & white drawing of some dude.

[*] Totally unrelated, but the other "philosopher" from HOTU I really remember fondly is Thrasymedes. I think he was an Aussie, and was really friendly. Does anyone remember him? I used to chat with him, and at one time we played some games of Laser Squad Nemesis. Wow, this must have been more than a decade ago! I wish I had kept in touch with him. I don't even know his real name.

Governor Dick

Post by Governor Dick » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:16 am

Wasn't Thrasymedes a communist.

Wizard in Glass

Post by Wizard in Glass » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:46 pm

This thread has made me go back and revisit Titan Quest. This time on the PS4 because I got it in a THQ Humble Bundle recently. And the port is more than a little terrible.

Sure, it's got controller support which is nice for aging hands that can no longer play twister on the keyboard for hours on end without being sore the following day, but other than that, it feels like a goddamned cash grab. The game has crashed on me multiple times and there are graphical errors galore when it comes to the particle effects of certain activating abilities. Creatures seen far off in the distance sometimes display a checkerboard missing texture pattern instead of their normal skin. It just seems like they didn't even make an effort on the port, they just added controller support and called it a day. And not having a mouse to click on items can make it a bitch to pick stuff up sometimes. (Interesting sidenote: the only other game I've played on a Playstation console to crash this much is the original Darksiders on PS3, another THQ published game. Probably coincidence, considering two different studios coded the games.)

They did add split screen multiplayer, which is cool for the couch co-op folks, but I only play with myself these days, so I can't vouch for how well it works.

I'll play it through to the end because I'm too lazy to restart a character on the Steam version and I am still having fun, despite the flaws.

Grady

Post by Grady » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:43 pm

I tried to play Titan Quest a couple years ago with Knyght and Jim and...maybe Joq? I forget. But even co-op couldn't make me enjoy that fucking Diablo-style mouse-based indirect control bullshit. I'm sorry to hear the console port sucks. That's a shame. I didn't even know it got one. Would've been nice to be able to play it with decent controls. Oh well.

Speaking of this genre and games that got a port to console (and added direct control), I remember hearing the console version of Sacred 2 was actually really good. Seeing as I'm obsessive about playing games in a series in order, and that first game was PC-exclusive and only used the indirect mouse control scheme I hate, well, I'll probably never play it.