Moonlighter

The city of the future!
sunface
Site Admin

Moonlighter

Post by sunface » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:44 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonlighter

This game is great. It's super basic. You go down into a NES-8bit-Zelda-inspired Zelda dungeon, kill monsters, get loot, and come back to the town. Very similar to many games. When in town, however, you run an item store where you price the loot you found and sell it. You don't have a great sense of what things are worth, so you price them and see whether they sell. Your customers will generally tell you based on their reaction whether it's too cheap, just right, slightly too expensive but still a buy, or way too expensive. The game records all of this so you have this weird game of trying to maximize the sale price for these random items.

Of course, you can also use many of the items to upgrade your equipment, with the cash you generated from selling other of the items, and get further in the dungeon which opens up better loot. Eventually, you get so good you can fight the boss, which opens up an entirely new dungeon.

I'm on the third dungeon (of five), and I admit it's just starting to get a little tired. My guess is that there will be a 6th secret dungeon after the 5th, and then the game will end. And I hope it does, because it will have given me the right amount of super addicting gameplay. The game has a good sense of when to change from dungeon to town (ie, you're out of items to sell or weapons to upgrade, time to go back to the dungeon VS my backpack is full of items time to go back to the town) and therefore avoids being boring, and I hope they can keep that up for the entire game.

I'm playing this on Switch but I think it's available for most platforms, and is in any event available on Steam.
This post should now end this thread due to its definitive embodiment of the subject.

Android

Re: Moonlighter

Post by Android » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:28 pm

Looks nice. The version on Steam works for Linux (yay) but is $19 (boo), while the version of GOG is $9 (yay) but doesn't work for Linux (boo). Wishlisted on GOG.

sunface
Site Admin

Post by sunface » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:30 pm

It's $22.79 CDN on GOG, which would be around $19 or $20 USD on GOG - you sure it's only $9? Maybe it's a regional thing?

Anyway I concur no Linux on GOG, which is weird.
This post should now end this thread due to its definitive embodiment of the subject.

Banjo

Post by Banjo » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:03 pm

I see a mixture of yay and boo for this game. Hmm.

Android

Post by Android » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:10 pm

sunface wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:30 pm
It's $22.79 CDN on GOG, which would be around $19 or $20 USD on GOG - you sure it's only $9? Maybe it's a regional thing?
It must be regional, but here I see it at $9.35 USD: https://www.gog.com/game/moonlighter

sunface
Site Admin

Post by sunface » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:02 pm

Hehe when I click that link I get $22.79.

In other news, I bought Castles 1 & 2 from GOG.com. I'm going to see if I can figure them out.

Grady

Post by Grady » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:39 pm

I backed this game on Kickstarter few years back. Which gave me access to the game before the gaming public. Doesn't mean I actually played it, though.

Android

Post by Android » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:36 pm

sunface wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:02 pm
In other news, I bought Castles 1 & 2 from GOG.com.
I absolutely loved Castles back in the day. Is Stronghold similar? Don't know if these games are playable these days.

Anyway, I just started up Sunless Sea, which I guess I bought from Humble Bundle ages ago. Looks nice, but there's way too much micromanagement. Too busy, too many buttons to click. I probably won't stick with it.

sunface
Site Admin

Post by sunface » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:43 pm

Android: What's Stronghold? I've been trying to figure out Castles but it's not intuitive, at least not to me or not yet. On GOG the manual that comes with the game seems to be the README file, whereas on steam you can read the PDF of the original manual, which is very long and mainly discusses real world castles and how they operated. This is interesting and one of the cool things about big box games that you just don't see anymore.

Grady: So, did you actually play Moonlighter? If not, you should check it out considering you apparently already own it!

Android

Post by Android » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:49 pm

Stronghold is a series of Castles-like games. I've never played them, but they have good reviews and apparently many fans. You can buy most of the series on GOG, apparently with some remade in HD versions: https://www.gog.com/game/stronghold
sunface wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:43 pm
[...] on steam you can read the PDF of the original manual, which is very long and mainly discusses real world castles and how they operated. This is interesting and one of the cool things about big box games that you just don't see anymore.
Agreed about that. The manuals from the original Shogun: Total War -- and yes, the one from Sword of the Samurai too -- have tons of information about feudal Japan, not completely necessary for the actual game but still very interesting. I also remember the manual from Strike Commander (the Wing Commander spin-off with modern jet fighters) was also cool. I love reading a well written manual.