Palm's Ultra Tiny Phone

The city of the future!
sunface
Site Admin

Palm's Ultra Tiny Phone

Post by sunface » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:56 am

https://gizmodo.com/palms-ultra-tiny-ph ... 1830528949

As you know, over the past 10 years touchscreen smartphones have come to dominate the mobile phone market. Over that time, my iPhone's dimensions have grown, which is in stark contrast to how most other technology tends to get smaller.

Here's the iPhones I've owned:

-3GS
-4S (same size as 3GS)
-5S (bigger than 4S)
-6 (bigger than 5S)
-6S Plus (bigger than 5S)
-8 Plus (same size)
-XS Max (same size)

Now, the company that owns the name "Palm" (a company that no longer really exists) has created this Ultra Tiny Phone, and you may have seen it in the tech blogs. Basically this is an underpowered mobile phone that has a shorter battery life, but is basically the size of a short stack of credit cards. The idea is you'd take this out with you for a night on the town so you're not spending the evening staring at your phone screen.

At first blush this is kind of a stupid idea, but the more I think about it the more I think I'd use this. It would be a good phone to use at the gym, or maybe a few other social engagements. The thing you lose with this phone, though, is the ability to take a break (e.g., the person you're talking with needs to walk away, or your dinner date goes to the bathroom, or you go to the bathroom) and check your apps. You're not able to show your friends that Youtube video you like so much, or catch up on whatever pathetic touchscreen game you've been playing. But that's because it's underpowered. It doesn't have to be.

I hope this thing is a success, and Apple goes back to making a small iPhone again. My phone is fairly big, and I think if you could give me a phone 1/3 its size, even at the expense of some battery life or chip power, I'd be tempted.

Anyone else?
This post should now end this thread due to its definitive embodiment of the subject.

Android

Re: Palm's Ultra Tiny Phone

Post by Android » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:56 pm

sunface wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:56 am
As you know, over the past 10 years touchscreen smartphones have come to dominate the mobile phone market.
Wait – what?

Governor Dick

Post by Governor Dick » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:38 am

How will you compensate for your penis with a credit card size phone. You really need to think this stuff through.

Banjo

Post by Banjo » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:35 am

He can buy a bigger penis.

Also, the supertiny smartphones I have seen this far have all looked more or less retarded, but this one looks like it could actually be functional. Not a bad idea, most of the phones are indeed unusably large for phones and unusably small for tablets. Worst of both worlds etc. I have the last small iPhone (the one that got recently(?) discontinued, but is still in stock in some retailers who have not run out) and anything larger would be irritating (like my work-phone, which I don't want to carry around).

sunface
Site Admin

Post by sunface » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:10 am

The trick about this phone is to photograph your penis next to it. People will see the photo and assume it's a normal sized phone, and will therefore exclaim "wow you have a small penis" instead of "wow you have a microscopically small penis."

Ironically, if Apple made a phone the same size as the iPhone 4 or 5 again (I think the one Banjo is talking about had the 5S body but was maybe called the 6 something) it would sell like crazy. Most people complain that the main size of phone is too big for their hands, or don't want their phone taking up so much pocket/purse space.
This post should now end this thread due to its definitive embodiment of the subject.

Wizard in Glass

Post by Wizard in Glass » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:58 pm

Both of my smartphones have been Samsung Notes (2 and 8 models) both wrapped in Otterbox protectors that harken back to the days of PC game boxes that were the size of your computer case, and I have never had issue with storing/carrying/using my phone because of it being too big. Perhaps I just have giant MANLY hands, perhaps you metrosexual namby-pamby's have small pockets because you're wearing your designer girlyman jeans you got hand-made from some underground Etsy designer.

I tease, but I've honestly never had an issue with the size of my phone and transporting it. Plus it's big enough I can read comics on it during the night shift at work and/or play mobile version of Talisman. I also don't wear dress slacks or suit coats unless someone dies or gets married, so I can understand how some of the professional folks out there would not want to be lugging a large phone in their pockets. Hell, I make my ladyfriend put my phone/keys/sometimes wallet in her purse any time we have to get all "fancied up" because they make feel weighed down in my dress clothes. That and I like to embarrass the shit out of her when my "Hey, We Want Some Pussy!" ringtone starts going off in her purse.

To each his own, I guess.

P.S. It's probably a safe bet that the complainers shave the hair off their packages to make their junk look bigger.

P.P.S. Don't ever do that thing with the embarrassing ringtone to your significant others. That can destroy a relationship. Instead, pull that trick on your mother, during Midnight Mass on Christmas. Then go to confession immediately afterwards and all is well.

sunface
Site Admin

Post by sunface » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:45 am

I'd like to know more about the ringtone, "Hey, We Want Some Pussy!". Is this an actual thing? Because if so, the honesty behind that artistry is really impressive.

Yeah I don't really mind having a big phone. My last few have been the "Plus" or now "Max" versions of the iPhone, and when they weren't making a giant iPhone I was like, fucking make a giant phone already. In use, a giant phone is way better than a smaller one. When not in use, it's the other way around.

While we're on the subject, does anyone still carry a bulky wallet? I switched to one of the wallets that's just a couple of pieces of aluminum with a strap around it a few years back and will likely never change. Same with my keys - I only carry the bare necessities. Currently that means a house key, garage key, office door key, and beer opener (not necessary, but there was space in the key thing). For wallet, I only carry a few cards.

Wizard in Glass

Post by Wizard in Glass » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:35 am

I don't know if it's an actual ringtone someone offers for sale, but on my Samsung I can pick a sound file for a custom ringtone.

NOT SAFE FOR WORK: From the album "The 2 Live Crew Is What We Are" . NOT SAFE FOR WORK

"I'm the Peter Piper of the 1980s
Got a long, hard dick for all of the ladies.
I don't care if you got 3 babies,
You can work the stick in my Mercedes."

Man, they just don't write 'em like that anymore. :lol:

I have a thick wallet that I need to ditch. It contains everything except money. And if I'm driving on a trip more than about 2 hours, I have to put it in the glove box because is makes my ass hurt.

Grady

Post by Grady » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:36 pm

My wallet is really just a black leather credit card holder that (I think?) was designed for women to put in their purses. If I ever have cash, I fold it into fourths and shove it in one of the pockets behind the cards. Not the greatest system, but it's nice and small. Besides, who the fuck uses cash? The thing is probably 1/4th the square millimeters of my old actual-wallet, and that's when I've got a bunch of cash squashed in it. I WAY prefer it over a full size wallet. My sister randomly bought it for me a few years back. Probably the best/most useful thing she's ever given me.

Banjo

Post by Banjo » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:03 am

Besides, who the fuck uses cash?
Prostitutes.