The Asylum

The city of the future!
sunface
Site Admin

The Asylum

Post by sunface » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:07 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Asylum

I was reading this great article on The Asylum, which is the mega-low-budget film studio that aims to make "Mockbuster" rip-offs of major Hollywood movies, and release them direct to video basically the day that its inspiration hits theatres.

Some of my favourite titles:

The Day the Earth Stopped (based on the concept from The Day the Earth Stood Still)
Transmorphers (based on Transformers)
Titanic II (hahaha)
Two-headed Shark Attack (which seems to have sequels involving a shark with 3, 5, and ultimately 6 heads)
Atlantic Rim (based on Pacific Rim)
Alien Convergence (ripped off of Alien Covenant)
Tomb Invader (probably obvious)

Apparently they've never lost money on a production, which is probably not true, but in the article I reference above there's some great quotes from these guys. Their point is that a movie studio that spends $200 million on a blockbuster isn't going to take many risks, and so big popcorn movies are getting more and more samey, and if they fail they fail really hard. Meanwhile it sounds like Asylum spends $500k on a movie and makes it back with profit in a few months.

Oh and the best thing about the article is it's from 2012 - the year before the first Sharknado movie was released. Apparently these are their biggest movies and I'm not really surprised, as the first one was pretty timely and awesome when it came out.

Another interesting note from the article, is that it's typically more fun to think about their concepts than watch the movie. I think this is totally right; most of these would just be shitty no-budget movies with a funny title, but are ultimately shitty made crap zests that you probably don't want to slog through.

That said, has anyone seen any of their films? I'm very curious about Titanic II... I'd really like to know what happens next to the boat.
This post should now end this thread due to its definitive embodiment of the subject.

Android

Re: The Asylum

Post by Android » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:56 am

It's easy to mock The Asylum (mock the mockers?), but lately most "legit" blockbusters feel like something done by The Asylum anyway, only with more budget. Examples: Pacific Rim is an Asylum movie not actually done by them, so I'm not surprised to see it in the list. Ditto with Transformers and almost anything by Michael Bay. Tomb Whatevers are obviously Asylum-material movies. Any disaster or alien-invasion movie by Emmerich, too. Anything with The Rock in it. Many superhero movies. Etc, etc.

What does it say about the movie industry when almost anything could have been done by The Asylum, if only they had the budget?

sunface
Site Admin

Post by sunface » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:14 am

Haha movies are legitimately getting dumber over time. If you watch a movie from the 1980s today the pacing is usually very slow and there's generally more nuance. And people in the 1980s were lamenting how dumb movies were getting. When you make a movie about "Battleship" or "Rampage," you're really just trying to give people visceral stupid entertainment and you don't give a shit about anything.

The problem is really movie theatres. It costs so much to make a movie, but then you need so much cash to market and distribute it. It's pretty clear to me that movie theatres will be around for a while, but I think we'll see more and more movies go direct to video (Netflix, iTunes, etc). In the 1980s it made sense to watch a movie in the theatre because you had a 20" LCD 4:3 TV at home with a craptastic VCR with manual tracking that showed you a terrible pan & scan version of the movie without any kind of surround sound. Today, on the other hand, you can buy a 65" TV for a thousand bucks with a full surround setup, and watch a 4K blu-ray or stream a movie and really get an experience that people would've paid $8 to see 30 years ago. Movie theatres make decreasing sense. And I think because you pay $20 for a movie theatre ticket (at least where I live), you expect a massive spectacle, not some character-driven story. So you want big 3D bullshit.

At least movie producers seem to think you do.

Did anyone watch Pacific Rim 2? I really liked the original (Disclaimer: I thought it was big, stupid entertainment, which is what I want from a giant monster/robot fight movie), but I can't get past 20 minutes in the sequel. It feels sooooo much worse than the original, like they hired the screenwriter from Starship Troopers to write the dialogue. Anyone?
This post should now end this thread due to its definitive embodiment of the subject.

Banjo

Post by Banjo » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:00 am

Sunny wrote:Did anyone watch Pacific Rim 2? I really liked the original (Disclaimer: I thought it was big, stupid entertainment, which is what I want from a giant monster/robot fight movie), but I can't get past 20 minutes in the sequel. It feels sooooo much worse than the original, like they hired the screenwriter from Starship Troopers to write the dialogue. Anyone?
Yeh, I actually bought it. Pretty crap, should have known better - felt like a bad ripoff more than a sequel (and not really having any of the original cast involved was not fun (though even that can work, like in Predator 2 without even Ahnuld!) but I liked some of the fights when watching it with beer. Might even watch it again one day. With beer.

I like beer.

Android

Post by Android » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:12 pm

I liked Predator 2 even without Anhuld, agreed. What about the Predator reboot? One of the reviews from that link Sunface posted (I think) claims it's pretty shit. I'm inclined agree without even watching it; how do you re-create the silly fun of the original for today's audiences?

Grady

Post by Grady » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:36 am

I saw the new Predator and it was silly, pretty dumb, and fun. I liked it. Wasn't amazing, but I enjoyed it. I went into it not even knowing the film existed. I had a few hours to kill in the city our dollar theatre is in, and went there to see what was playing. Wasn't sure if I'd go into it and not know what was going on, seeing as I hadn't watched any of the Alien Vs Predator films. But nah, it was fine. I went in just assuming it'd be complete shit, but was pleasantly surprised.

Had no idea Olivia Munn was in it. The whole movie I was thinking, "is that Olivia Munn? I don't remember her being quite that attractive.. Or that able to act. But it kinda looks like her." Then I looked it up after. I remember hearing she moved into acting years ago, but I'd never seen anything with her in it. I just kind of assumed she'd be absolutely terrible.

Android

Post by Android » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:40 pm

Olivia Munn is very attractive and a terrible actress. But yes, she's hot. She was also in that X-Men movie with... Apocalypse?

Alien vs Predator isn't a movie thing. It's definitely a videogame thing: two pretty good games out of this silly crossover. It might be a comic book thing. But it's definitely not a movie thing, and it shouldn't be attempted again because every AvP movie is pure, unadulterated shit.