Dungeons & Dragons

The city of the future!
sunface
Site Admin

Re: Dungeons & Dragons

Post by sunface » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:00 pm

We should totally share some pictures of miniatures we've painted. I was actually just organizing mine, as I bought a bag that's all full of foam inserts to put them in.
This post should now end this thread due to its definitive embodiment of the subject.

Wizard in Glass

Post by Wizard in Glass » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:49 pm

I'm pretty sure the dropper tips can be removed from the AP bottles to make insertion easier. Here's a video showing someone putting them in a Vallejo paint bottle. I believe AP are constructed the same. Still a pain in the ass if I had to do that for 50 bottles (I pity the fool who does it for the AP Complete Set: 126 bottles). Think I will stick with the shake until my arm goes numb for the watery colors.

CDP is census designated place. We're unincorporated so no local town/city government. We do have a county council, but the county is pretty rural, so I don't see them ever passing a pet limit.

Yes, I do in fact have a display cabinet full of robots. Because I am a 41 year old manchild. And I love me some japanese robots.
I actually have an Ikea Detolf that I want to put them in, but when I do that, I'm just going to end up putting my SH Monsterart Godzilla stuff in this one.
rbt.jpg
rbt.jpg (160.37 KiB) Viewed 106 times
I finally got my Robotech stuff from Miniature Market. Holy shit they are going to be an exercise in pain to assemble. The Zentraedi stuff isn't so bad, but the veritechs have close to 20-30 pieces to glue together for a goddamned 2" mini. I've got a bit of experience assembling stuff from Shadows of Brimstone, but these things are going to be a chore.

I was talking to my girlfriend the other day and she sounds like she may be interested in trying out D&D. And a woman we work with has played in the past, so I might end up getting back into it even if my nephew isn't interested. I think next payday I will buy the starter set and do a trial run and see if it's something they would like to do on a regular.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of you guys' work. I will try to get some pictures of my stuff and post them. And some of my mid to late 80s stuff for laughs.
I just want to say that I also got back into the miniatures painting hobby. Mostly Games Workshop stuff, but also a lot of historical 1:72 minis and vehicles.
I absolutely love the GW models. The prices have always kept me away, though. Not because I don't think they're worth it...it's more I would hate to pay that much and then fuck up trying to paint/assemble them. Do you do a mix of their stuff (40K, SIgmar, etc.) or do you stick with one?

sunface
Site Admin

Post by sunface » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:10 am

*Drools* ROBOT CABINET!

For D&D, before you buy it just download the basic rules. This is the same set of rules that comes with the Starter Set and it's available for free from the Wizards website. From there, the DMs Guild has a bunch of free adventures (aka "Pay what you want"). I'll send you a PM on some other details.

For Games Workshop, the price is just too high. I think there's two things I don't like about GW:

1) Their prices. I'm impressed with Reaper Miniatures, as they've taken the approach of slightly cheaper plastic = $2 miniatures. This is the right price point. I bought their Bones 3 set, which was originally a Kickstarter, for around $200 and it contains over 100 miniatures. This is good. Of course the problem is that a lot of the miniatures aren't of that much interest to me: there's a bunch of modern guys with guns, for example, that don't really help a D&D game. But their products are worth it. Meanwhile, GW is charging like $15 for one miniature. I just made that up.

2) Assembly. I don't mind putting an arm on a miniature, but GW minis all seem to be a million pieces. I guess this is good because you can take otherwise similar miniatures and make them all different from each other by using different poses and parts, but meh. Too much work. What you were saying about Robotech rings pretty familiar on that point...
This post should now end this thread due to its definitive embodiment of the subject.

Android

Post by Android » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:03 pm

I just want to say that I also got back into the miniatures painting hobby. Mostly Games Workshop stuff, but also a lot of historical 1:72 minis and vehicles.
I absolutely love the GW models. The prices have always kept me away, though. Not because I don't think they're worth it...it's more I would hate to pay that much and then fuck up trying to paint/assemble them. Do you do a mix of their stuff (40K, SIgmar, etc.) or do you stick with one?
Agreed, they are way too pricey. And living in Argentina, with our current crisis and escalating peso-to-dollar exchange rates, buying more GW stuff is becoming even harder to justify. Thankfully, I have a ton of minis I've bought over the years.

I mix everything from any of their ranges because I mostly don't play GW games -- though I've bought Shadespire with the intention of actually playing it -- I just like collecting their minis and whatever else strikes my fancy.

I'm a little embarrassed about posting my stuff because most of it cannot compare with what you'll see on the internet, and also because the photos I take seem to magnify every little mistake I make. Without further ado, some of my stuff I think is good:

Some Sepulchral Guard from Shadespire (I find the minis for this game are fantastic and own most of them -- unpainted):
Sepulchral Guard - Warden & Petitioner.jpg
Sepulchral Guard - Warden & Petitioner.jpg (57.17 KiB) Viewed 100 times
A Goliath from Necromunda Underworld:
Goliath - Bonesnapper - 03a.jpg
Goliath - Bonesnapper - 03a.jpg (45.16 KiB) Viewed 100 times
Rick-- err... "Phil" from Zombicide:
S_Phil-02c-cropped.jpg
S_Phil-02c-cropped.jpg (39.45 KiB) Viewed 100 times
I'm also painting some soldiers, vehicles and terrain in 1:72 for a WW2 game. None of them are terribly impressive to show.

Banjo

Post by Banjo » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:10 pm

I like your minis, Andy - wish I could paint as well. You seem to have a more sensible style than the overdone on the highlights modern GW textbook one.

Anyway, regarding D&D. Haven't really played or ran it in ages. We do have a semi-regular-ish FFG Star Wars game going on (the Han Solo version, Edge of the Empire) which is a really nice mix of narrative mechanics and more old-school gaming. And I run a Tunnels & Trolls game online. One big hope is to get either a Tekumel (using the old Empire of Petal Throne system) or Glorantha (RQ2 or RQ3) running as those settings are worth gaming in with a serious face and whatnot =)

BigDaddy

Post by BigDaddy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:06 pm

One of you ( Sunface obviously due to $$$$ ) should buy a 3D printer and begin a small cottage industry making unlicensed GDW figurines.

sunface
Site Admin

Post by sunface » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:53 am

Android, those are outstanding. Really good work. I can't tell if it's the lighting or the painting, but do you use lighter colours at the top of a miniature, to simulate an overhead light source? In particular with the guy with the red armour it looks like you have some white highlights to simulate a light source. Anyway this is one thing that I don't do with my miniatures but have considered doing. I'm pretty old school in my painting - base, wash, dry brush, details, done. But I've also been painting on a fairly mass scale. Recently I painted 16 lizard men (which I used as D&D troglodytes) and realized afterward that each one has a missed spot that's unique. Like one guy doesn't have his arrows painted on one side. I think they officially fit into "good enough".

Banjo: I'm really tempted to get a game going here. Any interest? Whoever ran it would need to commit to it, and I guess whoever plays in it would also have to commit to it. These have also never worked here.

I've heard about Empire of Petal Throne I think on the Mike Colville youtube videos. Is this really good? I think it's interesting how many games that were around when I was a kid are still around. Not this EOPT game but the other ones you've mentioned. That said, I used to play Star Wars using the West End Games version, which had the d6 system that was perfect for Star Wars. One thing I don't really like about d20, at least in the 5e version of it (I assume this is still called d20), is that you don't have enough ways to influence your roll. I mean, there are ways to do it, but I like the old d6 game where really you could always get the good roll when you needed it, you just had to make sure you needed it as you may not be able to change another roll later. In D&D there's Inspiration, but that's just a fresh die roll, not really an improvement. And we have a bard in our group so we get Bardic Inspiration (which can add a d6 or d8 to someone's roll), but I think the game needs way more of that kind of thing.

BigDaddy: Have you checked out "Hero Forge"? Pretty amazing, they'll custom print a mini for you. My guess is that they're doing what you've envisioned! Of course, they're not forging GW miniatures... that I know of... ;-)

Banjo

Post by Banjo » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:36 am

I've heard about Empire of Petal Throne I think on the Mike Colville youtube videos. Is this really good?
It's not. The game I mean, it's just a variant of the original (pre-AD&D and pre-"Basic") Dungeons & Dragons with some neat mechanical ideas added, but it's a clunky monstrosity taken by today's standards. But the setting of Tekumel is amazing - MAR Barker put (at least) as much effort into creating his world and languages and stuff as Tolkien did with Middle-Earth, and it shows. And it's not your general pseudo-medieval fantasyland, instead it has significant amount of science-fantasy (the setting is really a postapocalyptic far future human colonized planet that has fallen into a demiplane, and there's shitton of old-era tech in the depths of the planet) and the humanity is not based on European cultures at all, instead Egyptian, Indian, Middle Eastern and Mayan/etc. cultures. It's different and detailed.

There are more recent systems for the setting, which probably play better today, but I kinda want to give the OG version a go (bought it as PoD from drivethrurpg some months ago)

You should maybe check the new FFG Star Wars game out (there's 4 of them, all with the same system but different emphasis - Rebel Alliance, Bunch of Han Solos, Jedigame and Episode VII tie-ein for that era - as said, we play the Han Solo one). It has wonky dice with icons, but the player ability to influence not only rolls (you can basically buy help now to suffer setbacks later) but also the encounter/story itself with minor (but not full on) narrative mechanics. Also it has the brilliant idea of a roll potentially being "success with bad side-effects" or a "failure with good side-effects" - my favourite example I have came up with is sneaking across an alleway in Mos Eisley without the Stormtroopers seeing you (succcess!) but stepping in a pile of Bantha shit so you get a penalty to your next diplomacy roll (bad side effect)

Android

Post by Android » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:37 pm

sunface wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:53 am
Android, those are outstanding. Really good work. I can't tell if it's the lighting or the painting, but do you use lighter colours at the top of a miniature, to simulate an overhead light source? In particular with the guy with the red armour it looks like you have some white highlights to simulate a light source. Anyway this is one thing that I don't do with my miniatures but have considered doing. I'm pretty old school in my painting - base, wash, dry brush, details, done. But I've also been painting on a fairly mass scale. Recently I painted 16 lizard men (which I used as D&D troglodytes) and realized afterward that each one has a missed spot that's unique. Like one guy doesn't have his arrows painted on one side. I think they officially fit into "good enough".
Thanks. I do use some lighter colors on top, but most of what you notice is a fortunate accident of the lighting when I took the photos. In the Goliath dude with the red armor it's mostly coincidence (though there is a bit of that); where it's definitely on purpose is with the Skellie with the red cloak: the highlights in his cloak are intentional.

I also mostly go for tabletop quality and follow the same procedure you describe: base, wash, dry brush + details and done; I simply don't have the patience, pulse or eyesight for anything else these days.

Do you use your minis for D&D gaming? I have a ton of mostly unfinished projects. Like when I thought painting all the Zombicide minis was a good idea (spoiler: it's not). But I did play the hell out of Zombicide!

Android

Post by Android » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:48 pm

BigDaddy wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:06 pm
One of you ( Sunface obviously due to $$$$ ) should buy a 3D printer and begin a small cottage industry making unlicensed GDW figurines.
Mind you, a lot of people are doing just that. Also, these days the Chinese are adept at cloning the molds and making (relatively) cheap resin copies of varying quality. And there's always the good ol' method of simply making lead copies (which is still relevant).