Dungeons & Dragons

The city of the future!
Wizard in Glass

Re: Dungeons & Dragons

Post by Wizard in Glass » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:41 pm

I've actually thought about trying to make my own modular tiles and walls for dungeon scenery, something like a poor man's Dwarven Forge. "Thought" about is the key word here, until I came across this place last week and saw his Gloomhaven walls and floors tutorial. And now I think I know what I'm going to have Santa bring me for Christmas.

Android, those are really good paintjobs on your figures. Almost makes me reluctant to post my own stuff. I don't do very well on the shading parts. I can do okay on the dry brushing, but often overdo it. The only washing I've done is with AP's Strong and Dark tone inks that came in my set, but I haven't really gotten the knack for making them work good for me yet. My figs end up looking dirty rather than shaded.

I honestly wish more people would do metal figures alongside the plastic ones. I don't mind the plastic and I do appreciate you can get a lot more figures for your money than with metal, but I miss the "heft" of the lead that keeps them standing and in place if a strong draft comes through the room. Also, bent metal minis are easier to straighten. I don't miss the lead poisoning part of them, though.

I bought a box set of the old TSR Marvel Super Heroes miniatures on ebay and finally got them earlier this week. I am glad the quality of sculpts has improved over the years. :lol:
HULK SMASH!!!
I have a ton of mostly unfinished projects.
The story of my life. And my impulse shopping habits if a price is really low. Case in point: even with all my Conan and Robotech stuff to paint, I bought B-Sieged: Sons of the Abyss because it was on sale for $25 bucks and included around 70 miniatures. I don't know if the game is any good and don't know if I'll ever find someone to play it with. I just liked the way the figures looked and 3/$1.00 wasn't something I could pass up.

Wizard in Glass

Post by Wizard in Glass » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:01 pm

Heads up to the folks who are interested: Miniature Market is currently running their Black Friday sale.

They've got the Robotech Tactics for $25 if you're still interested, sunface. They've got a downloadable Excel list that shows what's on sale/price/discount% and they have a list of games that will go on sale 11/22 in the 2nd round of their discounts, but no prices listed for round 2.

Edit: fixed link
Last edited by Wizard in Glass on Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Android

Post by Android » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:15 pm

What I've decided I really want is the new cooperative boxed game from Games Workshop, "Blackstone Fortress". Unfortunately, it's $150 in the US and after customs, taxes, etc -- with the always lovely possibility that customs or the postal service in my country might simply decide to "lose" it -- it would be about twice as much and I really can't justify the expense.

...unless I claim I'm spending the money on something more socially acceptable, like drugs. Which anything from GW sorta is anyway: plastic crack.

Banjo

Post by Banjo » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:56 am

Android wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:15 pm
What I've decided I really want is the new cooperative boxed game from Games Workshop, "Blackstone Fortress".
I'll get that one too. The miniatures look lovely (which is quite rare for modern GW and they way too "busy" minis) and the stuff they have dropped in the details seems cool (a "Man of Iron" - actual sentient AI from like before Age of Strife and shit). Yay.

As an aside, while most GW minis are quite crappy nowdays, the new Cypher is one of the best 40K miniatures ever made:

sunface
Site Admin

Post by sunface » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:16 am

Did you paint that? Looks awesome.

I've been reading old D&D books to mine ideas, and holy shit were some of them bad. I knew they were fucking bad when I would look at them 20-30 years ago but man, it's no wonder TSR went under putting out the garbage they put out. Most recent offender is some Lankhmar adventure book I read last night. 96 pages of short adventure ideas, ideal for a night or just an hour of gaming. There must be 50 adventures in there, and 2 of them are passable and the rest are fucking awful. I'll see if I can summarize some here later.
This post should now end this thread due to its definitive embodiment of the subject.

Banjo

Post by Banjo » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:55 am

Yay for awful! :)

Also, nope, that's a generic GW staffer painted promotional pic. But the mini itself is one of the very few super cool ones from them in recent years.

We are getting to the last session or two of the current run of the FFG Star Wars - the crew is going to end their #1 Villain (or perish trying) a low-grade Hutt boss. We are in the "before the movies" timeline, basically - but I plan to end the "season" with news of Alderaan being destroyed so the players can then dwell on the issue of staying criminal or maybe joining the rebellion (the Empire is on their heels anyway already, due to some earlier encounters) until late winter. It will change the dynamics of the setting, even though I will keep the players far away from any movie "metaplot" stuff.

I wonder who will die and who will live.... Poor Man's Han Solo, Trukcer Lesbian Twilek Bounty Hunter, Dr. Mengelebot, a Mon Calamari who enjoys fishing. The essentially unkillable (broken build) combat droid is unlikely to perish no matter what.

Android

Post by Android » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:57 pm

On the subject of awful, during a trip last year I finally bought the first two D&D Dark Sun books. You know, the ones whose cover artwork is featured in the Dark Sun games. They are delightfully trashy. I mean, they are pure garbage, but at the same time so ungeneric and fun. The monsters are weird. There's some mantis warrior, and at first it's evil, then it's good, then it dies. Cool!

dark-sun-625x330.jpg
dark-sun-625x330.jpg (67.7 KiB) Viewed 33 times

Banjo, please let me know what you think of Blackstone Fortress, if you ever buy it. It seems my finances won't permit it for the time being.

Does anyone here play Frostgrave? The author released a new game on PDF, Rangers of Shadow Deep, which allows for cooperative and solo gaming (Frostgrave, by comparison, is mostly competitive). Coop is awesome for me because it's more fun to play with my nephews: they like it when we all play on the same side, and not against each other.
We are getting to the last session or two of the current run of the FFG Star Wars
Obligatory "where is our Risus-based, Obi-led forum RPG!"

Banjo

Post by Banjo » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:51 am

Andy wrote:Does anyone here play Frostgrave?
Nope. But I have Dragon Rampant from Osprey. It's basically Warhammer Fantasy Battle done right - no stick up the game's arse, with a delightfully simple but working system and "anything goes" feel. And you can design your own armylist based on certain parameters, and then use that to build your army. And any unit can be any number of minis - if you field only one dude, it's a hero. If you field multiple, it's an unit. Wounds are on unit level, so each mini will have the units HP total divided by the amount of dudes - very freeflowing very fun.

Grady

Post by Grady » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:46 am

Ooh, I've got the Dark Sun games on GOG and have been meaning to play them.

Banjo

Post by Banjo » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:21 pm

Those are fun. :) At the end of the day Dark Sun is just pretty much a D&Dized ripoff of the Edgar Rice Burroughs John Carter of Mars stuff, with enough of D&D glued to it to make it seem original enough, but it's a nicely different setting and really feels like trashy pulp fiction. I like Dark Sun. Except the fuckers killed off Gnomes in the past history of the setting. I like gnomes.