Blackstone Fortress

The city of the future!
Banjo

Blackstone Fortress

Post by Banjo » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:54 am

So, got the newish GW boardgame on a whim. Warhammer 40K hex based HeroQuest pretty much, seems nice but we haven't got a game done yet so it might end up sucking. Minis look cool, the player characters are assorted chaps from a few different factions - Rogue Trader, some ye olde Robotman, a space elf chick, etc...

Anyway, it was funny how everything in the game is fluffed. And I mean everything - even the little plastic bags the players store their character and item cards between games (it's got a short campaign) are called Cryo Chambers, etc. Funny detail, I guess.

Andy, I guess you are likely the only one who might have considered getting this?

And yes, Gov, it sucks and nerds and stuff.

Android

Re: Blackstone Fortress

Post by Android » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:58 am

Yes, I want this game so badly it hurts. Everything I've read and seen about it appeals to me. Especially that it has cooperative/solo gameplay; the sole reason I recently bought Rangers of Shadow Deep (a coop game by the same author of Frostgrave). Rangers was a hit with my nephews, so that's money well spent!

However:
1- All my hobby money has been spent.
2- I have to pay about 50% in taxes to import an already expensive game.
3- That's assuming Argentina's customs don't "lose" it or send it back on a whim. The last game I got took about 2 months to arrive. Importing anything here is an exciting game of Kafkian bureaucracy.

That said, if I travel any time soon I'll definitely get it.

Are you planning to paint the minis? Let me know how it plays!

sunface
Site Admin

Post by sunface » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:32 pm

Does this have painted or unpainted miniatures?

Speaking of Hero Quest, I realize I had a copy of it some time ago as I recently found miniatures that I had put in storage and forgotten 20 years ago. By "storage" I mean left in Craopo's garage. Those miniatures are pretty bad quality; some of them just can't be painted well (in particular, the animals such as wargs and horses have no detail at all). That said, there's some archers and pikemen that would be good to create a town guard kind of thing, and god damn it I'm going to do it.
This post should now end this thread due to its definitive embodiment of the subject.

Android

Post by Android » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:17 pm

It has unpainted minis, though they are color-coded so you can play without painting them. But real men -- i.e. nerds -- paint them.

You should totally paint your archers and pikemen.

sunface
Site Admin

Post by sunface » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:08 am

I'm going to do it!

I've been painting quite a few miniatures for my ongoing D&D game. I'll post some pictures here at some point. By "here" I mean the other thread where there's miniature pictures. I'll also post pictures of the unpainted miniatures from the old Hero Quest (or whichever iteration it was) so you can see what I mean. I evidently painted one of them many years ago and it looks pretty good, so I think they'll be fine.
This post should now end this thread due to its definitive embodiment of the subject.

Android

Post by Android » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:43 pm

Please do so! You just reminded me I can upload the pic of some badass-looking fella I recently painted.

Machete

Post by Machete » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:44 pm

Android: you could try buying it through one of Amazon's European sites. While the shipping is incredibly expensive, the purchase I just simulated didn't add any taxes which, although odd, isn't completely unfeasible.

Android

Post by Android » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:03 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, but importing from Amazon Europe is no longer viable. It used to be that you had less trouble with customs that way, but I'm told that's no longer true.

In any case, I'm travelling to the States soon and I'll try convincing the "boss" that Blackstone Fortress is an essential buy.

Banjo

Post by Banjo » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:48 am

Convicne the "boss" that Blackstone Fortress is a form of sex-swing or something?

In other news, they released an expansion with the Ambull in it!

Android

Post by Android » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:10 pm

I already thought Blackstone Fortress was a sex toy!

That Ambull looks gorgeous. Shame about the price. There are Ambots for Necromunda too, have you seen the pics?