Xbox One X

The city of the future!
sunface
Site Admin

Xbox One X

Post by sunface » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:35 pm

Recently, Fallout 76 came out and everyone hated it. As it happens, Microsoft released an Xbox One X that's bundled with it (a digital copy, of course, as everything sucks now). Because the game tanked, the bundle has been slashed in price - as I understand it, the US$500 console is now $350 if you buy it with Fallout 76.

So I bought one. It arrives in a few days.

I've been really on the fence about this. Was I right to get one? I have a new 4k TV and thought it might be good for that, and I'm also considering the Xbox Game pass, which has something like 100 games that you can play for a monthly subscription fee, including the 3 games that I kind of bought the console for: Crackdown 3, Halo Master Chief Collection, and I guess Halo 5. There's some other ones on there that seem pretty legit though.

What do you think?
This post should now end this thread due to its definitive embodiment of the subject.

Android

Re: Xbox One X

Post by Android » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:14 pm

sunface wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:35 pm
I have a new 4k TV
How 2016 of you. Now it's 8K. Get with the times.

I honestly can't play AAA games anymore. I have neither the hardware nor the patience :( And to think I simply loved the original Fallout & Fallout 2.

sunface
Site Admin

Post by sunface » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:07 am

But but but...

Yeah I've lost a lot of interest and patience in them as well. BUT, given that I have some time off, I'm going to dig into some and see how I like them. On my list:

GTA5
The Last of Us

(Interestingly, these are both "last gen" games that were re-released for, in my case anyway, the PS4)

Spiderman
Crackdown 3

We'll see how these go. I suspect the latter 2 will be similar.
This post should now end this thread due to its definitive embodiment of the subject.

Banjo

Post by Banjo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:32 pm

I should replay Wasteland. And the new Wasteland too. :)

Machete

Post by Machete » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:48 pm

I rarely have the time and the patience to play games nowadays. I've been trying to get into the Resident Evil 2 remake, but I'm just too much of a pussy, so I think I'll just give up in a few days.
Someone recommended me a game called Overcooked, which apparently is good for local co-op. Have any of you played it?

Feasoron

Post by Feasoron » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:26 am

Jen and I love local co-op, but we had trouble with overcooked. It's a solid game, but we found it really . . . stressful? IDK, sometimes with a game I can get really into the challenge, other times it just stresses me out, which prevents me from having fun, if that makes any sense.

We did get a really cool co-op game for the Playstation VR called Black Hat Cooperative, though. One person puts on the headset, and they are a spy trying to infiltrate a high-tech facility. The television then has schematics, blueprints, current guard robot locations, etc. So while you are going through the level, your partner is yelling "Ok, on the right is a door. There is a guard on the other side. Hold on a moment. Ok he's gone, go in and run to the right! Go! Go!" We've only done a level or two, but it's really cool so far. I love when a game does something that is only possible with a new tech.

sunface
Site Admin

Post by sunface » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:39 am

Wow, Xbox Game Pass is incredible.

I think if you're up on current games, and have played everything and kept current, this isn't a great service. But if you missed the entire run of Xbox One, this is incredible. For example, I've never played the Metro games, but they're Metro 2033 (2010), Metro: Last Light (2013) and Metro: Exodus (2019). Metro 2033 and Last Light have been re-released as "redux" versions for current-get systems, and I think 2033 is from 2014 and not sure about Last Light but I'm guessing it's a couple of years old. So, I'd like to play these, and 2033 and Last Light Redux are available for "free" on Game pass. So for me it's perfect. I haven't played them and I can play the first two. I guess if I really like them I can play the new one, but I just don't have that much time even being semi-retired at the moment.

All 3 of the recent Tomb Raider games are there. All of the Halo titles are available. All of the Gears of War games are there. As is Forza Horizon 4, etc.

But the thing I'm playing is Crackdown 3 and Crackdown 1 at more or less the same time. I started 3 and soon moved to 1, and stayed up all night playing it (which is something I haven't done in ages). Then to my surprise I fired up 3 and realized it had improved on a lot of issues with 1. So I like them both. 3, although a 360 title, looks pretty good on the One and I think is upscaled to 4k resolution, but in any event the main character model looks good while a lot of the city and opponents are low-poly. Anyway, not Pearian but it looks fine and is very smooth.

Anyway, I don't see myself buying any games for this system but will rather just play all the free games at my disposal. Thus far, I'm loving this console simply due to the free game pass.

sunface
Site Admin

Post by sunface » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:12 am

Update!

I finished Crackdown 3. I found myself generally enjoying Crackdown 1 more, but for some reason got more into 3 and every time I wanted a little video game fix I turned it on.

I'm now trying to figure out the next video game to play. I'm curious about Shadows of Mordor - also on Game Pass - but I wouldn't mind playing a couple of quick games. Another one I'm curious about is the recent (like, 2 years ago) 3DS remake of Metroid 2, which I do own but was never able to really start and it's been gathering dust.

Any recommendations for a good smaller game? I don't really want to dive into something that's going to be 30-40 hours of play, but maybe something that's 5-10.