Kickstarter is for suckers. I am a sucker.

The city of the future!
Wizard in Glass

Kickstarter is for suckers. I am a sucker.

Post by Wizard in Glass » Sun May 05, 2019 5:35 pm

I always told myself that I would not ever back a Kickstarter project. If I wanted/needed it that badly, I would wait for a retail release. And then, over the last year or so, I realized that in the realm of board games there is a lot of Kickstarter exclusive shit you miss out on at the retail level. (Unless you feel like hunting down stuff on ebay, usually for astronomical prices.)

So I finally broke down and am in the process of backing Bloodborne: The Board Game. I came close in the last few months with a Shadows of Brimstone KS and the Solomon Kane board game KS, but managed to resist the temptation. And now that Pandora's Box has been opened, I will probably be putting a 2nd mortgage on my house before the end of the year.

Post your KS experiences. Good, bad, indifferent.

Android

Re: Kickstarter is for suckers. I am a sucker.

Post by Android » Mon May 06, 2019 3:38 pm

I've never backed a Kickstarter. Argentina's current catastrophic economic crisis and rising devaluation of the peso vs the US dollar makes it even less appealing these days :(

Bloodborne looks pretty cool, though. Of course, I'm set for life with Blackstone Fortress... and the fact I'm having a daughter soon, which will drastically cut down my spare time!

Wizard in Glass

Post by Wizard in Glass » Sat May 11, 2019 2:30 pm

Fuck me...$340 for the early bird all-in pledge. Plus whatever shipping is going to be. I originally was just going to do base pledge and get all the stretch goals and then they started adding KS exclusive add-on expansions. 3 of them. The 3 other add-on expansions will be available in retail, but either contain some KS exclusive content or are going to be limited print runs at retail level.

Android

Post by Android » Sat May 11, 2019 6:38 pm

$340 seems too much, even for someone living in the first world :P What does that pledge include? The page doesn't say anymore.

It seems this KS has raised 3 million out of a $200K goal. Wow.

Wizard in Glass

Post by Wizard in Glass » Sat May 11, 2019 9:24 pm

Yeah, it hit its goal in like 17 minutes. Currently at 3.35 million. Next stretch goal is 3.4 million with about 67 hours to go. Hopefully it will get there.

You should still be able to view what's included in the pledges...try going to the "campaign" tab. You should be able to scroll down and see all the stuff. But it's something like 39 normal enemy types (multiples of either 2 or 4...148 regular enemy minis total), 19 bosses, 13 hunters, 13 enemy humters, 8 chests, and 5 lanterns as far as minis go.

Then there are a shit load of cards and tiles for campaign play (4 base campaigns of 3 chapters each + 5 expansion campaigns), cards and tiles for chalice dungeon play, and rules for PvP. And an assortment of tokens.

I haven't the foggiest of where I'm going to store all of it.

It is a lot to put out all at once for a game...that's my only hesitation, but I paid off my car loan in February, so I have a little extra to play with. After this, though, that extra money will be going towards the principle on our home mortgage. Can't always act like a manchild. Actually, I could. But my better half won't let me. :D